Yay! We made it through our test week! Each student showed amazing perseverance. We are so proud of them!
Polar Express Donation
Hello Families! We can't believe that Winter Break is fast approaching! To celebrate the winter holidays, we will be watching the Polar Express at school on Thursday, December 19th. We would love to treat the kiddos to some treats and goodies to go with this fun movie! We would really appreciate it if you could sign up below to help us make the student's last day of school in 2019 magical! This for kindergarten team NOT the class party put on by room moms 😊.
Kindergarten Winter Party – PJs!
Mark your calendars! Thursday, December 19th will be our kindergarten winter party! It will be at 9 AM this time! You should be getting more information from room moms, but it will be the same layout as our Halloween party and we will be rotating rooms. Also, your child can wear their PJs to school all day on December 19th to help us celebrate our last day of school before winter break!
Kindergarten and First Grade Elementary Skill Sets and Content Knowledge Scores
In an attempt to better evaluate students in the primary grades of Kindergarten and 1st Grade, students will no longer receive number/letter grades in their STEM, Specials, History, Science, or Homeroom classes. Instead, we will be using Infinite Campus to track proficiency using skills-based rubrics based on grade level standards and the acquisition of the content. Students will not receive number/letter grades, but instead will receive scores as such: v for Proficient; – for Approaching; or + for Advanced. Using Infinite Campus will allow more rapid communication of student progress to parents.
• In homerooms, students are assessed per the appropriate grade level expectations in four categories: Language, Cognitive, Social Emotional, and Physical
• In Science and History, rubrics are content knowledge based.
• In Specials, students will be assessed on skills and participation. In some cases, participation may be included in the skills-based rubric, and in others, it may be a separate category in the gradebook. Please look at the description for specific information on how each skill is assessed, and email respective teachers with any questions.
• For shorter units, students will receive one “mark” after the unit is complete. If the unit occurs between multiple trimesters, this feedback will appear in Infinite Campus in either multiple rubrics broken up or in the later trimester.
• The goal is for all students to be proficient (have an overall score of “check”).
Please note that this system is still new for us, so some units may look a little different as we finalize the details. Our hope is that, by eliminating numerical scores in the primary early grades, students will receive more valuable assignments, thus more authentic feedback for students and parents through the rubrics.
Original Works Information from Mr. See
Original Works orders are in the house. We'll be sending them home soon so that folks get them in time for the holidays, even those who are leaving for holiday travels before Winter Break begins. Kiddos will receive their orders from homeroom teachers at the end of the day on Friday, December 13th. Please let them know to keep these precious products safe on the way home. If you need yours earlier, just reach out via email and I'll make a delivery to your art genius' homeroom ASAP email@example.com
Please read below for an update on what we are learning in each subject area.
Literacy -Spalding Phonograms (e, i) reading narrative (fiction) books and retelling them (characters, plot, setting, beginning, middle and end). In writing, we are focusing on finger spaces, complete sentences, nouns and verbs.
Math – Show and count 10 objects.
Social Studies- We will be finishing up our Living and Non-living and animals and their habitats.
Science- We are also beginning our fun-filled magnetism unit!
Character Building – Generosity
Love to Volunteer?
The PTO has been working hard on creating a clearinghouse for ALL AAMB volunteer opportunities on the PTO web pages and their new page just went live! Feel free to check it out and see if there are any school-wide volunteer opportunities that may interest you!